Coronavirus Updates

View Penn State information on COVID-19 >>

Lab research

Student Recognition


In the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences, graduate admissions is a shared process between academic degree programs and The Graduate School. In order to be accepted to a graduate program in the college, you must meet the admission requirements of the graduate program you are applying to, as well as the requirements established by The Graduate School.

Learn more about How to Apply to The Graduate School

Financial Aid

Financing graduate education is an important topic for both students who are applying to attend Penn State and those who are already enrolled. There are numerous sources of support from inside the University and from external agencies that afford funding for graduate students. Visit the below links for more information.

Applying for Aid

Any graduate or professional student who needs assistance from the U.S. Department of Education to pay for classes must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). We recommend new students submit their FAFSA by March 1, and continuing students submit by April 15 to receive maximum consideration for aid.

Types of Available Aid

Visit the Information for Graduate and Professional Students webpage to learn how graduate and professional students can apply for aid, and the types of aid available. Types of aid include:

  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans
  • Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
  • Federal Work-Study
  • Employment
  • Assistantships
  • Fellowships
  • Traineeships