error Coronavirus Updates expand_more

View all of the information needed to help you as an undergraduate student in the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences in a one-stop place.

View Handbook >>

Before you can be officially admitted into a major, you must meet certain entrance-to-major (ETM) requirements. These differ based on your intended major as well as the year you were admitted to Penn State.

When a student fails to make adequate progress towards maintaining a 2.00 cumulative grade point average (GPA), students are placed in academic warning and academic suspension. More information about this policy is available through the Faculty Senate. A student with a 2.00 cumulative GPA or higher is in good standing.

Learn more about EMS policies regarding Academic Progress/Academic Warning.

Please use Update Academics in LionPATH to request a change of major to your major of choice in the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences. If you have questions about programs or requirements, please schedule an appointment with an adviser in the Ryan Family Student Center.

Once your change of major is complete, you will be assigned to an adviser in your new or intended major. Please review the list of advisers to find contacts connected to your intended major.

Additionally, many resources are available to you as a student in the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences including mentoring and tutoring, and research opportunities, study abroad, clubs and organizations

To return to the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences after a break in enrollment, please schedule an appointment with an adviser in the Ryan Family Student Center by calling 814-863-2751.   To return to Earth and Mineral Sciences, you must submit a re-enrollment form to the Registrar.

For more information, visit the University Registrar's website on Returning to the University.

If you are exploring majors in the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences, please schedule an appointment with one of the Ryan Family Student Center's advisers to learn more.

You are able to take some courses at other universities and have them apply toward your Penn State degree requirements. To do this, you will need to have your transcript sent to Penn State. Learn more about transferring credits to Penn State.

Note: Not all courses at other institutions will transfer as an equivalent Penn State courses. For general information about whether a course from another institution will transfer, you can consult Penn State Undergraduate Admissions' Transfer Credit Course Evaluation Guide.

At Penn State, each college is responsible for its own Academic Integrity procedures.

Review the EMS academic integrity procedure.

As a student, you may choose to petition Penn State's Faculty Senate to waive a rule or policy in place, due to extenuating circumstances that are out of your personal control. The most common petitions we see are:

Retroactive withdrawal for a past semester (or semesters)

Retroactive late drop of a course (or courses) from a past semester

If you plan to submit a petition to the Faculty Senate, please see the college's Faculty Senate Petition Guidelines. After you have reviewed the guidelines, and wish to proceed with your case, contact Martha Traverse in the Ryan Family Student Center by email at to begin the process.

Learn more about Penn State's Faculty Senate petition process.